TheBusinessDesk.com has some great tips about how to realise if you’re stuck in a dead-end job.
You clock watch all day, you dread getting up each morning, you’re beginning to resent all your colleagues you once liked.
They could very much be signs that you’re in the completely wrong job for you, and it is time to move on. If you feel these tell-tale signs each day, it’s time for you to start thinking about what you can do about it.
1) You no longer believe in what the company does
2) You don’t understand the purpose of your job
3) You aren’t gaining new skills
4) You don’t find joy in success at work
5) You don’t feel your work is valued
6) You realise growth opportunities are severely limited
7) You’ve lost respect for your boss
8) You’ve got an overwhelming itch for a new job
So what can you do if you these feelings won’t go away?
You should take a step back and decide if you’re just having a bad few days, or if you are genuinely so unhappy at work that it’s affecting you as a person. Write a list of things you want out of a job and how many of those things you have at your current position.
It’s not always the company that isn’t working for you, it’s the responsibilities and what is expected of you. You could speak to your boss about new opportunities or taking part in a new project and seeing whether you enjoy it.
If you still feel unhappy, it is time to start considering your options and thinking about a new job and what skills you need to get you there. You are the only person responsible for your career success and if you are not happy, you should find a role where you will be.